Overnight Backpacking in the North Cascades
- Fitness level 2: Easy Active
- Skill level 1: Beginner
- Minimum age: 14
- Group size: 10
Take an overnight backpacking trip with the experts at REI! Our journey leads us to lakeside backcountry campsites on Baker Lake, nestled in the valley between 10,781-foot Mount Baker and the western ranges of the North Cascades National Park. Hone your skills while enjoying 24 hours in the backcountry: learn what to bring, how to carry it, what and how to cook, how to manage water, how to navigate, how to choose a campsite, and practice Leave No Trace principles. The load will be light and the trail easy, designed with new backpackers in mind. You will hike about 4 miles per day with 400 feet of elevation gain. This trip includes all required gear (backpack, tent, sleeping bag, pad, stove, all cookware, trekking poles, and water filters), dinner, and breakfast.
- You will learn how to pack a backpack for fit, balance and accessibility
- Learn techniques of how to properly wear and hike with a backpack for ultimate comfort on the trail
- Learn backcountry navigation
- Additional camp skills such as choosing a camp site, camp cooking, water treatment, sanitation, and Leave No Trace principles will also be taught.
More directions and information
Northwest Forest Pass is required. There is a pit toilet available at the trailhead.