Rock Climbing Anchors - Bolt Anchors
- Fitness level 2: Easy Active
- Skill level 2: Intermediate
- Group size: 1
Learn the basics of building climbing anchor systems. We will cover climbing gear, knots, evaluation and use of fixed protection, aka bolt anchors, and equalizing the forces on the anchor. This is a hands on program where you will build climbing and rappelling anchors. This outing will focus on construction and assessment of anchors and not on climbing movement.
- Learn how to identify and build effective, solid climbing anchors
- Learn about two bolt anchors
- Learn about common gear used to build climbing anchors and how it can be used in a variety of different environments
Reimers Ranch Park
More directions and information
Reimers Ranch Park has a $10/vehicle entry fee October-April and $15/vehicle May-September. You can use your park pass at any other Travis County park that day. Camping is not available. For REI Rock Climbing classes, you will meet the instructors at the North Bank parking lot, which is the last parking lot on the park road. For Map & Compass classes, meet the instructors at the Mountain Biking parking lot. For questions, please email Austin-OS@rei.com or call 512-482-3357 Mon-Fri, 10am-5pm.