Rappelling - Level 2
- Fitness level 3: Moderate
- Skill level 2: Intermediate
- Group size: 8
Enjoy getting on the rock and ready to take your rappelling skills to the next level? Join likeminded vertical world enthusiasts on Rappelling - Level 2 for more advanced skills taught by your REI climbing instructors. Rappelling - Level 2 is a great natural progression from Rappelling - Level 1 and will prepare you for tying two ropes together during longer rappels, give you tools to rappel in windy conditions and around challenging mountain obstacles, and teach you how to back yourself up with the proper gear and technique during a rappel to add redundancy to your rappelling and give you the ability to work out those pesky knots and tree snags on the way down. All gear needed to learn these skills is provided. This course is best suited for experienced rappellers or Rappelling - Level 1 graduates.
- Learn to properly prepare and throw a rope
- Consider wind, trees, knots, backups, commands, etc.
- Learn to tie two ropes together for long rappels
- Learn to protect yourself at the top of the cliff when preparing the rappel
- Reinforce rappel extension with sling
- Learn the proper gear and friction hitches needed to back yourself up on a rappel
Tom's Thumb Trailhead - McDowell Sonoran Preserve
More directions and information
CLOSED TOED SHOES REQUIRED. There is no water available at Tom's Thumb Trailhead. From N Pima Rd and the Loop 101, take Exit 36 for N Pima Rd and travel 4.8 miles north. Turn right on E Happy Valley Rd for 4.3 miles. Turn right on Ranch Gate Rd and proceed 1.3 miles. Turn right on N 128th St and travel south for 1.5 miles to Tom's Thumb Trailhead. Call 520.477.7344 with any questions day of course.