- Member price: $255
- Non-member price: $275
- 8 spots left
- Minimum age: 14
- Group size: 10
- Instructor: REI Outdoor Experience Guide
Join us for a weekend spent kayaking the Colorado River downstream of Austin bordering the Lost Pines Region. This overnight paddling experience covers nearly 20 miles of beautiful river scenery. We will spend the first day paddling 12 miles before relaxing the night away from city lights at a private campground. In the morning, you'll wake to have breakfast and coffee before heading back onto the water for the final eight mile stretch. Learn about the history and natural features of this river basin as we paddle along. Besides enjoying the scenery and great conversation, our guides will be offering paddling tips and tricks to help you in your future adventures. This trip is recommended for those 14 and older and those under 18 must be accompanied by a parent or responsible adult. REI will provide all paddling and camping equipment, just bring your own sleeping bag and personal items. This trip is a perfect overnight kayaking experience without any of the hassle!
- To become familiar with kayaks, equipment, and proper clothing for kayaking
- To learn to enter and exit a kayak safely
- To learn packing and overnight preparation
- To learn kayak navigation and route planning
- To provide participants with an awareness of how to become a safe, responsible kayaker
- To provide participants with natural history of Texas river systems, ecology, and wildlife
A complete list of suggested packing items, an itinerary and directions will be emailed to you the week of the trip date. REI will provide transportation from McKinney Roughs Nature Park.
McKinney Roughs Nature Park
More directions and information
Please note that McKinney Roughs Nature Park is different from McKinney Falls State Park. McKinney Roughs Nature Park has a $5 entrance fee. Please pay when you arrive at the Visitors' Center. Contact the REI Outdoor School (Austin-OS@rei.com) to see if a shuttle will be provided from the downtown Austin REI store for this class.