Off-Trail Map and Compass Navigation
- Fitness level 3: Moderate
- Skill level 2: Intermediate
- Group size: 12
Get off the beaten path! This backcountry navigation class takes you off the trails and into uncharted territory as we teach you how to successfully navigate off trail using terrain features while pinpointing your location on a map. You will learn the tricks of the trade to backcountry/ off-trail navigation and how to adjust your plans on-the-go. This course is a great option to advance your navigational skills, and a previous Introduction to Map & Compass class is recommended.
- Review Identifying Terrain Features and taking and following a compass bearing
- Learn advanced route planning techniques, including check points, attack points, handrails and backstops
- Learn how to develop strategies to correct for being lost
Golden: White Ranch Park
More directions and information
There are 2 entrances to White Ranch; please meet us at the West entrance on Belcher Hill Road. If you have any issues, please contact us: Monday-Friday 8am-5pm @ 303-756-3100 x806; or Saturday-Sunday on our after-hours phone @ 720-515-2290. Our email is monitored Monday-Friday: firstname.lastname@example.org.