Essential Wilderness Skills
- Fitness level 2: Easy Active
- Skill level 1: Beginner
- Minimum age: 13
- Group size: 12
Getting ready to head into the backcountry and looking to increase your confidence in your outdoor skills? Our experienced instructors will share tips & tricks to help hone your skills while providing ample opportunity for demonstrations, discussion, skills practice and questions. We'll discuss the importance of the 10 essentials, campsite selection and proper layering while understanding mechanisms of heat loss/gain. Hands-on skills practice will include knot tying, shelter setup, stove use, fire building and water purification.
- Understanding the importance and functionality of the 10 essentials
- Proper clothing and equipment selection for the terrain and weather
- Learn useful and reliable knots
- Gain knowledge of stove fuels/use and water purification techniques
- Practice setting-up shelters and effective fire building techniques
Meet your instructors at the Visitor's Center at Rooster Rock State Park. $5 Oregon State Parking Fee required.
Rooster Rock State Park
More directions and information
Oregon State Park parking pass required