Map & Compass Navigation - Level 2: Next Steps
- Member price: $69
- Non-member price: $89
- 10 spots left
- Fitness level 3: Moderate
- Skill level 3: Advanced
- Group size: 12
Looking to get further off the beaten path? If you are interested in expanding your backcountry navigation tool box, join REI for this hands-on class that will allow you to take on more challenging navigation problems . We'll show you techniques for effective route planning, methods for navigating around obstacles encountered en route and relocation strategies in case you get lost. Participants should have previous navigation experience such as an REI Introduction to Map and Compass Class or working knowledge reading a topographic map, using a compass to take a bearing from a map, and navigating with a map and compass.
- Review Identifying Terrain Features and taking and following a compass bearing
- Learn advanced route planning techniques, including check points, attack points, handrails and backstops
- Learn to use 'Dead Reckoning' Navigation with a compass and a pace count to navigate around obstacles
- Learn how to develop strategies to correct for being lost
Sag Valley Forest Preserve - Teason's Woods
More directions and information
If you have any questions, please contact us: Monday-Thursday 9am-5pm at 312-929-3047; or Friday-Sunday on our after-hours phone at 312-834-3734; or by email at Chicagofirstname.lastname@example.org - all of these are monitored mailboxes.