Map & Compass Navigation - Level 2: Next Steps
- Fitness level 3: Moderate
- Skill level 3: Advanced
- Group size: 12
Looking to get further off the beaten path? If you are interested in expanding your backcountry navigation tool box, join REI for this hands-on class that will allow you to take on more challenging navigation problems . We'll show you techniques for effective route planning, methods for navigating around obstacles encountered en route and relocation strategies in case you get lost. Participants should have previous navigation experience such as an REI Introduction to Map and Compass Class or working knowledge reading a topographic map, using a compass to take a bearing from a map, and navigating with a map and compass.
- Review Identifying Terrain Features and taking and following a compass bearing
- Learn advanced route planning techniques, including check points, attack points, handrails and backstops
- Learn to use 'Dead Reckoning' Navigation with a compass and a pace count to navigate around obstacles
- Learn how to develop strategies to correct for being lost
Monte Bello Open Space, Palo Alto: Main Parking Lot
More directions and information
Plan on at least 20 minutes to drive this windy mountain road from Highway 280 and look out for cyclists!