Shenandoah Overnight Backpacking
- Fitness level 3: Moderate
- Skill level 2: Intermediate
- Minimum age: 18
- Group size: 6
Are you a wilderness lover? Join our professional Outdoor School instructors for an overnight backpack into one of the most stunning areas of Shenandoah National Park. We'll cover up to 9 miles over two days in the beautiful wilds of Jeremy's Run below Knob Mountain. Depending on the group and the weather, we'll either run this trip as an out-and-back on the Jeremy's Run trail, or as a loop including the Knob Mountain Trail. If the latter, you can count on great views from Knob Mountain. And there's always a great chance you'll see significant wildlife in the tumbling valley along Jeremy's Run. Our streamside campsite is alongside a waterfall and is the best camping spot in the whole valley. On day one, you'll meet your instructors early at REI Fairfax to review your gear and make sure you have all you'll need, and then head out for the trailhead. On the trip we'll explain how to choose and use equipment (including how to load and carry your backpack) to maximize your comfort and fun. You'll also learn about campsite selection, navigation/route finding, camp cooking, water treatment, wildlife precautions and Leave No Trace etiquette. REI provides transportation and the following gear: backpack, tent, sleeping bags, sleeping pads, stoves, all cookware, trekking poles, water filter and food. Please note: at just over 9 miles roundtrip with a potential 2600 feet of elevation gain and loss, this trip does involve strenuous exercise.
- You will learn how to pack a backpack for fit, balance and accessibility
- Learn techniques of how to properly wear and hike with a backpack for ultimate comfort on the trail
- Learn backcountry navigation
- Additional camp skills such as choosing a camp site, camp cooking, water treatment, sanitation, and Leave No Trace principles will also be taught.
11950 Grand Common Ave, Fairfax, VA 22030