Harper's Ferry Winter Hike to Maryland Heights
- Fitness level 2: Easy Active
- Skill level 1: Beginner
- Minimum age: 12
- Group size: 6
Winter is here! Time to hit the trail, breathe in some fresh air, and take in the sights of historic Harper's Ferry. One of our favorite places to explore this time of year, Maryland Heights offers spectacular views overlooking the confluence of the Shenandoah and Potomac Rivers not hampered by tree cover. There's no better time of year to explore the historic forts and remnants of Civil War history than when the leaves are down and sightlines are clear. Following this short, yet steep trail, we'll hike a total of 4 miles gaining about 500' of elevation over 1 mile, learning all about the surrounding ecosystem along the way. We'll also share tips for staying comfortable while hiking and offer insight on planning your own hikes at any time of year. So grab your day pack, lace up those boots and we'll see you at the trailhead!
- Learn to adapt basic hiking skills to the winter environment
- Learn how to dress to stay warm, dry and comfortable so you can expand your hiking experience to 4 seasons
- Learn about local venues that are particularly suited to winter hiking
- Get a great winter-weather workout
- Meet other like-minded adventurers
- Round-trip transportation provided
- Catered meal provided
If you have any questions about this class/tour please email us at DC-OS@rei.com or call us at 240.630.1938 M - F 10 am - 5 pm.
Meet at: Washington DC REI
201 M Street NE, Washington DC, DC 20002