Introduction to Outdoor Rock Climbing Class
$89 for REI Members
$109 for non-members
- Minimum age 14
- Group size 8 people
Join REI to learn the fundamentals of outdoor rock climbing in this hands-on experience. We'll focus on building the skills you need to continue your climbing journey, including proper belay techniques to keep your fellow climbers protected while they're off the ground. We'll cover necessary knots and give you the chance to practice basic outdoor climbing techniques, with some personalized instruction along the way. REI will provide all of the necessary climbing equipment for this great first-time experience.
- Learn how to belay other climbers while they're off the ground
- Learn to tie the basic climbing knots and practice good rope management
- Learn the basics of climbing movement and technique
- Practice your new skills with ample opportunities to climb multiple outdoor climbing routes
- Anyone under 18 must be accompanied by a parent or responsible adult
What to bring with you
More directions and information
CLOSED TOED SHOES REQUIRED. There is no water available at Tom's Thumb Trailhead. From N Pima Rd and the Loop 101, take Exit 36 for N Pima Rd and travel 4.8 miles north. Turn right on E Happy Valley Rd for 4.3 miles. Turn right on Ranch Gate Rd and proceed 1.3 miles. Turn right on N 128th St and travel south for 1.5 miles to Tom's Thumb Trailhead. Call 520.477.7344 with any questions day of course.