Introduction to Outdoor Rock Climbing Class
- Fitness level 2: Easy Active
- Skill level 1: Beginner
- Minimum age: 14
- Group size: 10
- Instructor: REI Outdoor School Instructor(s)
Join REI to learn the fundamentals of outdoor rock climbing in this hands-on experience. We'll focus on building the skills you need to continue your climbing journey, including proper belay techniques to keep your fellow climbers protected while they're off the ground. We'll cover necessary knots and give you the chance to practice basic outdoor climbing techniques, with some personalized instruction along the way. REI will provide all of the necessary climbing equipment for this great first-time experience.
- Learn how to belay other climbers while they're off the ground
- Learn to tie the basic climbing knots and practice good rope management
- Learn the basics of climbing movement and technique
- Practice your new skills with ample opportunities to climb multiple outdoor climbing routes
- Anyone under 18 must be accompanied by a parent or responsible adult
You will receive a reminder email 72 hours before your class. This class will take place at Reimers Ranch Park where there is a $15 cash entrance fee.
Reimers Ranch Park
More directions and information
Reimers Ranch Park has a $10/vehicle entry fee October-April and $15/vehicle May-September. You can use your park pass at any other Travis County park that day. Camping is not available. For REI Rock Climbing classes, you will meet the instructors at the North Bank parking lot, which is the last parking lot on the park road. For Map & Compass classes, meet the instructors at the Mountain Biking parking lot. For questions, please email Austin-OS@rei.com or call 512-482-3357 Mon-Fri, 10am-5pm.