Backcountry Navigation With A Map & Compass
- Fitness level 2: Easy Active
- Skill level 1: Beginner
- Group size: 10
During this field outing, our instructors will help you understand the information provided on your map, the proper use of your compass, and how to put the two together. You'll learn about magnetic north, true north, and magnetic variation (declination). After covering these fundamentals, you'll get time to practice taking a bearing from the terrain and your map so that you can make sense of your position and plan a route. This hands on course is a great introduction to outdoor navigation and map reading!
- Read a topographic map
- Understand the difference between true north and magnetic north
- Learn to calculate declination
- Use a compass to take a bearing, plot your position on a map, and develop a route plan
- Build confidence in your navigational skills
Bonelli Regional Park - Sailboat Cove
More directions and information
After entering the park, turn left at the second drive and follow the signs to Sailboat Cove (one way road). Follow for about a mile and drive through the kiosk on the right. REI Outdoor School will meet in the parking area for Sailboat Cove at the base of the hill. $10 Day Use Fee - CASH ONLY!