Backcountry Navigation With A Map and Compass
$69 for REI Members
$79 for non-members
- Group size 6 people
- Instructor REI Local Experiences Guide
During this class, our instructors will help you understand the information provided on your map, the proper use of your compass, and how to put the two together. You'll learn about magnetic north, true north, and magnetic variation (declination). After covering these fundamentals, you'll get time to practice taking a bearing from the terrain and your map so that you can make sense of your position and plan a route. This engaging course is a great introduction to outdoor navigation and map reading!
- Read a topographic map
- Understand the difference between true north and magnetic north
- Learn to calculate declination
- Use a compass to take a bearing, plot your position on a map, and develop a route plan
- Build confidence in your navigational skills
What to bring with you
Activity locationDupont State Recreational Forest - Guion Farm Parking Area
More directions and information
From Dupont Road, turn onto Sky Valley Road (smooth gravel). Travel 1.6 miles and turn right into the Guion Farm Parking Area. Please meet your guides in the main parking lot.