Introduction to Winter Hiking
$55 for REI Members
$75 for non-members
- Group size 12 people
Just because it's cold outside, doesn't mean you have to stay indoors. Come join us for a winter hike. On this outing you'll learn about the gear and clothing that can make your cold weather hikes more comfortable and enjoyable. You'll learn how to use traction devices on icy trails, or snowshoes in deeper snow. We'll show you techniques to help you hike more efficiently and cover skills such as route finding on snow covered trails and emergency preparedness. This is a fantastic opportunity to explore one of our local parks and enjoy a great winter outing. Hot Chocolate included!!!
- Learn to adapt basic hiking skills to the winter environment
- Learn proper emergency preparedness and person health for cold environment
- Learn about beneficial clothing and equipment to make your experience more enjoyable
- Learn trip and techniques for navigating when you can't see the trail (snow)
- Learn how to dress to stay warm, dry and comfortable so you can expand your hiking experience to 4 seasons
- Take a great winter hike
What to bring with you
More directions and information
A recreation passport is required for vehicle entry into Maybury State Park. If you are a Michigan resident and don't already have the recreation passport on your vehicle registration, you may purchase an annual pass for $16 (which includes a $5 convenience fee) at the park. If you are not a Michigan resident, you may purchase a non-resident day pass for $9 at the park.