Winter Navigation With Map & Compass
- Member price: $79
- Non-member price: $99
- 11 spots left
- Fitness level 2: Easy Active
- Skill level 2: Intermediate
- Minimum age: 14
- Group size: 12
Head out into the snow for a day of hands-on navigation training with our REI Outdoor School. You will learn to see three dimensions of the land in the two dimensions of a topographic map. We will don our snowshoes and teach you how to read contour lines, landmarks and other map features. We'll also talk about magnetic north, true north, and magnetic variation, and help you make sense of it all. From there, you'll learn how to take a bearing from the terrain and your map so that you can triangulate your position and plan a route even in the snow. Maps and compasses will be provided. Prior snowshoeing experience is recommended (Introduction to Snowshoeing Class or equivalent skills). This is not a snowshoeing skills class and students should be able to snowshoe for 2-3 miles.
- Learn how to read topographic lines and other basic features on a map
- Learn how to orient a map to match the environment both with and without a compass
- Learn basic compass features and how to utilize the map with a compass
- Learn how to plot your current position on your map
- Use a map & compass to navigate to new locations even when the trail is covered in snow
- Build confidence in your navigation skills.
Evergreen: Echo Lake
More directions and information
From I70 take exit #252 (CO-74/Evergreen Parkway), follow CO-74 south for 2.8 miles, turn west onto CO-Rd 66/Squaw Pass Rd, continue for 18.2 miles to Echo Lake. Our instructors will be located at the Echo Lake Warming Hut on Echo Lake (not at the Echo Lake Lodge). If you have any issues, please contact us: Monday-Friday 8am-5pm @ 303-756-3100 x806; or Saturday-Sunday on our after-hours phone @ 720-515-2290. Our email is monitored Monday-Friday: email@example.com.