Introduction to Map & Compass Navigation Class
$79 for REI Members
$99 for non-members
- Group size 8 people
During this class, our instructors will help you understand the information provided on your map, the proper use of your compass, and how to put the two together. You'll learn about magnetic north, true north, and magnetic variation (declination). After covering these fundamentals, you'll get time to practice taking a bearing from the terrain and your map so that you can make sense of your position and plan a route. This engaging course is a great introduction to outdoor navigation and map reading!
- Learn to read a topographic map
- Understand the difference between true north and magnetic north
- Learn to calculate declination
- Use a compass to take a bearing, plot your position on a map, and develop a route plan
- Build confidence in your navigational skills
What to bring with you
More directions and information
There are 2 entrances to White Ranch; please meet us at the West entrance on Belcher Hill Road. If you have any questions or issues, please contact us @ 720-608-4198, or firstname.lastname@example.org.