$275 for REI Members
$295 for non-members
- Minimum age 16
- Group size 6 people
- Instructor REI Local Experiences Guide
Camping in the winter, without the crowds, can be a magical, quiet experience. The crisp, clean air, low humidity, and breathtaking vistas make winter backpacking a must for any backcountry traveler. In this intensive, cold-weather-focused course you'll learn how to adapt your existing backpacking skills to the winter environment, stay warm, and have fun. We will teach you the best ways to handle the cold to thoroughly enjoy the beauty that winter backpacking has to offer. Price includes all meals, tents, sleeping bags, sleeping pads, stoves/cooksets, park entry fees Note: this class requires previous spring/summer/fall backpacking experience.
- Adapt 3 season backpacking knowledge to pack and prepare for a winter outing
- Adjusting 3 season camp craft skills to a winter environment, such as: choosing a camp site, camp cooking, water treatment, sanitation, self-care, and Leave No Trace principles
- Learn how to dress/layer for cold weather
- Discover local areas where winter overnight backpacking is available
What to bring with you
Asheville specific: No winter camping experience? Not a problem! This course is designed to take the accomplished 3 season hiker and translate their skills to the winter landscape.