Overnight Backpacking Class
- Fitness level 3: Moderate
- Skill level 2: Intermediate
- Minimum age: 14
- Group size: 15
Let us help you with your first backpacking experience. Join our instructors on an overnight trip to a nearby scenic camp. Our instructors explain how to choose and use equipment (including how to load and carry your backpack) to maximize your comfort and fun. You'll also learn about campsite selection, camp cooking, water treatment and Leave No Trace etiquette. Course includes all required gear (backpack, tent, sleeping bag, pad, stove, all cookware, trekking poles, and water filters) and food.
- Learn how to pack a backpack for fit, balance and accessibility
- Learn techniques of how to properly wear and hike with a backpack for ultimate comfort on the trail
- Learn additional camp skills such as choosing a camp site, camp cooking, water treatment, sanitation, and Leave No Trace principles
- Discover local areas where overnight backpacking is available.
Monte Bello Open Space, Palo Alto: Main Parking Lot
More directions and information
Plan on at least 20 minutes to drive this windy mountain road from Highway 280 and look out for cyclists!