cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Re: hiking pants with decent pockets??

Are there any good hiking pants out there that actually have useable pockets? Why do pants makers not realize women need to carry things too.

18 Replies

I just bought a pair of Trailhead pants from Coalatree - they also come in women's sizes and they have great pockets. 

Really light, very comfortable, a tad expensive. But they're worth the price

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

But yes @Dad_Aint_Hip , the men's have good pockets and usually, I haven't looked at these pants, but in my experience, the women's sizes are not for the "same" pants, they are for the women's version. And that version falls way short of the men's.

Again, as with the thread looking for hiking shorts, women's clothes are designed to be "cute" and not functional.  Is it that guys designed them and want to make something they think will accentuate how a women looks while throwing functionality out the door, or do they think that a women will just carry a purse anyway?  Or do women designers not think about those of us who have no desire to be "fashionistas" and would rather go have fun?

Clothes designers need to get real about making functional, quality clothes for women.  They also need to realize that women don't come in small, medium, large etc. that a given waste size does not mean you have a matching leg length.  This has been obvious in men's clothing for years.  But even when they make women's clothes "long" they might, and I mean might, add an inch.

I've given up and, with rare exceptions, just opt for buying men's clothing.

@Luv2Kayak - my wife makes the same comments about her pants, too. 

But in the case of the Trailhead pants, the women’s version do have deep pockets and the reviews do them point that out. 

They’re not the cheapest on the market but anyone looking for lightweight technical pants should take a serious look at them n

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

0 Likes

5.11 tactical pants measure the waist and the pant inseam! They have very deep pockets, they are utility pants that were meant for EMS, firefighters, LEOs, and they are a military style pant. They make the men’s and women’s versions the same in terms of pockets and utility but also make them fit for women. I use them to hike and work in, they can carry anything. 

I suggest ladies look into these pants. They are amazing in my opinion. 

Thanks for the suggestion. I have happy with my Columbia pants, but will check them out.

0 Likes

I want Cargo pockets not just deep pockets.  I keep looking.  Kuhl use t make them. 

0 Likes

I second that!  Also, I can find pants for plus sizes and pants for short inseams but not both! For real!  Apparently, short plus sized women either do not exist or do not need hiking pants.  I gave in and got plus sized pants and had the tailor shorten them (adding $11 to the cost of the already not inexpensive pants)

0 Likes

Hi @hannah_sc - Thanks for reaching out! 

As another woman who appreciates a pair of pants with good pockets, I suggest taking a look at the prAna Kanabs. They have really impressed me!

You might also find this previous community thread on shorts and pants with deep pockets valuable.

Hopefully this helps!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

I don't have anything to recommend, but I chuckled when I read this.  My daughter and I have a long-running inside joke about how all her pants have "girl pockets".  Hiking pants, jeans, khakis...they all have "girl pockets" that she can't fit anything into.