cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Shoes for Big Feet?

I hate shopping for shoes because I wear an 11.5 B width.  Do you know how many places have the same shoe in 11, 11.5 or 12 in stock to try on?  I am annoyed when I have to purchase and returns shoes just to try on.  And worse, some shoes do not even come in those sizes.

I have to keep an eye on any shoes becuase the purchase/return process can take a month or two before I find a pair that actually fit -- and I can't order a lot at one time because I don't make that kind of money.

Any suggestions about someplace that consistently keeps a stock of shoes for women with big feet?

0 Likes
3 Replies

Hi @NMFireHorse, I totally hear you. It's important to be able to try on and compare shoes before purchasing. The answer to your question will depend on where you live and what type of footwear you are shopping for.

At REI, our assortments vary regionally but over the past year our store has seen an increase in shoe size selection with many women's styles now going up to a 12 (and B is the standard width for women's shoes) when they used to stop at an 11. Some vendors do not make half sizes after an 11 so in those instances I'd recommend trying both the 11 and the 12 to get the best fit.

You can bring up all women's footwear on www.rei.com and then sort by size to see everything that is available. Once you know what you're looking for, you clan click through to see if it's available at your local store. Another great option is to schedule a personal outfitting or boot fitting appointment with your local store. In some instances, the advanced notice of your specific needs can help our associates prepare options ahead of time. Follow this link  if you'd like to schedule your appointment: https://www.rei.com/outfitting/scheduler/

I hope this helps! If you need more information, I'd recommend connecting with your local REI store for specifics.

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

I also wear size 11-12, slightly narrow. Lately I’ve learned that wearing flip-flops and clogs (my go-tos) were contributing to my plantar facsitis! IShoe shopping is never fun, but REI staff (Denver) were very helpful and knowledgeable. Even if they don’t have the right size Ive always had great customer service there. I found a pair of Chacos in women’s 12 and was taught how to adjust them, and the sales associate also has PF and she shared her knowledge.

If you’re looking for size selection, Nordstrom Rack carries shoes upto women’s 13, but they are mostly fashion, not athletic. You mentioned you are a “B” width. I’ve learned that New Balance run narrow and slightly small so I watch for deals online and order those whenever possible. Zappos is great for returns, even if you can afford only one at a time. Good luck! I’ll be following this thread closely!

0 Likes

If you're looking for outdoor (hiking, climbing, approach, running, ect) you could always try mens shoes. An 11.5 womens is roughly a 10.5 mens. If you have narrow feet (like me) then most european brands tend to fit better. Happy shoe shopping!! 🙂

0 Likes