cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Period Panties and backpacking/ Thru Hiking

HI! I am getting serious about a thru hike in 2023 of the AT and soon after the PCT. I am working out all my gear and finding an absolute shortage on Period Panties for the active woman! What does REI recommend? I can't even find them available on the site? I see one menstrual cup... which is a start but it's definitely not a one fits all situation. Also period panty back ups would be great to have.  I know they are meant to be absorbent, but I also wonder how much moisture they will hold in (sweat) and hope to have some help and support finding a brand that won't be causing more yeasty harm than good! THANKS! 

0 Likes
2 Replies

First of all, I would not have thought of this slight dilemma had you not brought it up! So thanks for that! Who wants to carry in and out all those supplies. I cannot speak to their ability to prevent yeast infections but I have had good luck with the company Thinx (https://www.shethinx.com) for day hikes and other activities! Not carried by REI, but worth looking into! Cheers!

Wow... Why is this the first time I've heard about period panties??? I've obviously never tried them but what worked for me during my JMT thru hike was carrying 3 pairs (wearing one of them) of exofficio undies. These were super breathable, held in any bad odor and super easy to clean. When I had my period on trail I started off with the diva cup, which was amazing, but I found it hard to take out on the trail and felt like it was unsanitary with my dirty fingers even after washing them. I ended up using tampons and just packing them out. Hope this helps! Have fun!