cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Maternity Hiking Clothes (pants!)

Any others out there struggle to find a quality pair of maternity hiking pants, not just yoga pants and leggings? There is a huge gap of people out there wanting to get outside and hike throughout their pregnancies and looking for comfortable clothes to do it! And buying plus size hiking pants don’t do it to account for the bigger hips and belly. I wish I could find some nice, durable hiking pants with maternity stomach panels to help me feel comfortable and hike without sticks ripping my yoga pants. I hate hiking in yoga pants, but that’s what I have had to do since my regular hiking pants no longer fit me. But in my opinion, yoga pants don’t work well for hiking in the woods.

Anyone find better hiking pant solutions for pregnancy and the postpartum months?

suggestion for REI: invest in this population! Could be a real opportunity since no other company is doing this!

2 Replies

@jenis thanks for reaching out on the topic of maternity hiking pants (and for the suggestion!) - you have definitely identified a gap in outdoor gear. Although we do carry a few maternity-specific items at REI, most of them fall into the yoga/stretch category and less in the hiking category. In addition, we did a quick survey of the brands we carry and weren't able to find any that specifically offer a maternity line for hiking. Leggings have become such a favorite for hiking in general that it seems clothing brands are relying on that style of pants to cover hiking maternity wear as well. 

Who knows, maybe someone in our community will have some other ideas and suggestions?!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

@jenis - My daughter was somewhat successful with maternity cycling wear, which although is legging style garments, seemed to be more durable than typical leggings.

0 Likes