cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Membership now as great as the outdoors!
Already a member? Take a look at the Co-op Members section of the community.
Ready to join? Explore all of the benefits here.

I want to be the most outdoor resourceful person in my family, someone they can depend on.

Hello, you can call me Tootie. I am a 32 year old African American women who has a very simple dream to help people reconnect with themselves and nature. I recall being a little girl playing in the dirt, climbing trees, finding bugs, etc. ( basically everything they called "playing rough.") I was never one to prefer playing with dolls or houses. I more so wanted adventure, discovery, and energetic joy. When we were watching princess movies in the 90's I was more focused on the adventure and freedom the princess's got, rather than the prince that was asking for their hand. Usually my peers, family, and media was telling me I was focused on the wrong things...That girls shouldn't have scars on their legs, or "just focus on pretty" and maybe a man will come rescue you like in the movies...to only fantasize about my wedding and having a baby one day. Pure eye rollers for me if you know what I mean. Anywho, with all this being said I cant wait to gain spirit and knowledge about all the things I naturally love. I know the 32 year old me today has begun the journey of making that little girl in me TRUE dreams come true. "Meet Me In The Dirt"

6 Replies

You have come to the right place - there is a lot of good info here.  Check out Uncommon Path and Expert Advice.  Start gradually, with easy conditions and advance into more difficulties as you gain experience. Physical conditioning is quite important.  Go at that gradually and consistently.

You will spend a lot of money on gear and clothing.  Buying quality items will work better and give you lasting satisfaction.  Quality gear is not necessarily expensive gear.

You will never stop learning and improving.  There is always a situation a little different, with its own unique challenges.  You will have a great time!!

I would highly recommend first aid training, preferably at a fairly high level.  The knowledge gained will be useful not only in the wilderness, but also in everyday  life - speaking from experience

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

Thank you, I've seen first aid training classes on REI website. I think that maybe be a good first class to start with 🙂 I'll keep you updated. 

0 Likes

Those should be good first aid classes.  I am not saying there are not other good classes out there.  The one's on REI's site are handle by NOLS (National Outdoor Leadership Schools).  I have heard good things about NOLS.  Note there are a few different courses (Wilderness First Aid [with or without CPR; I would get the latter one]), Wilderness Advanced First Aid and Wilderness First Responder).  The fun with those is they are a bit pricey and finding one nearby can be a bit tricky.

Enjoy

0 Likes

Welcome to the community.  You can find lots of things here on the pages.  And I don't see anything wrong with the scars and being rough.  I grew up on a small hobby farm.  Except for some chores divided by gender, everyone works (hogs, chickens and the large vegetable garden.

What are you interested in learning/doing (i.e., climbing, canoeing, kayaking, hiking, camping, backpacking, survival skils/bushcraft)?

Enjoy

Yes I love that....The way things should be. I feel as though farm life is something we should all aspire to for the reverse poisoning of agriculture. Just relearning what it takes to take care of soil etc. My grandmother grew practically everything she ate and farmed. She lived a very long life. My interest are in learning more of ALL of those things, but more so backpacking, hiking, camping, and climbing for right now. I know all of these things come back to each other full circle the more you do them. I guess the planet itself is what I want to honor and understand more. The oceans, forest, and mountains God left for us all.

0 Likes

One practical skill that’s surprisingly hard is organizing where to go and inviting people to come with you. It sounds simple, but people who don’t do much out of doors sometimes need a little reassurance.  It seems that one reason it fell to me to organize trips is just because I know how to read maps.  

One thing I realized is, people who are not overtly “outdoorsy” don’t get invited to hike or camp. If you do invite them, sometimes they end up loving it.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.