cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Help picking a raincoat that isn't "crunchy" feeling

I am looking for a raincoat that is soft and comfortable without being crunchy and I am having a hard time finding it online. What is your softest most comfortable raincoat? What about the softest waterproof and warm coat (parka or 3-in-1 for Oregon winters)?

Thanks, Heather

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

@heatherbridgham we actually get this question a lot, a jacket that is both waterproof and not "noisy" or "crunchy." Unfortunately, part of the noice/crunch is a result of the technical fabric used to make a jacket waterproof. A softer/quieter jacket, like a softshell, will offer water resistance but typically not be fully waterproof.

With that said, here are a few models of waterproof rain jackets that we'd consider to be on the softer/quieter side:

The majority of the 3-in-1 jackets we carry are designed for skiing/snowboarding, which you didn't mention. You can certainly wear these jackets around town, and their outer shell is often "quiet," however they will include ski-specific features like a powder skirt and a helmet-compatible hood that may be unnecessary/undesirable for non-ski adventures.

Another option for warm and waterproof is to pick a shell (as mentioned above) and pair it with either a down layer or synthetic layer underneath, effectively creating your own 3-in-1! We've got a helpful article on how to choose an insulated jacket for more ideas and information. Hope this helps!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
4 Replies

@heatherbridgham we actually get this question a lot, a jacket that is both waterproof and not "noisy" or "crunchy." Unfortunately, part of the noice/crunch is a result of the technical fabric used to make a jacket waterproof. A softer/quieter jacket, like a softshell, will offer water resistance but typically not be fully waterproof.

With that said, here are a few models of waterproof rain jackets that we'd consider to be on the softer/quieter side:

The majority of the 3-in-1 jackets we carry are designed for skiing/snowboarding, which you didn't mention. You can certainly wear these jackets around town, and their outer shell is often "quiet," however they will include ski-specific features like a powder skirt and a helmet-compatible hood that may be unnecessary/undesirable for non-ski adventures.

Another option for warm and waterproof is to pick a shell (as mentioned above) and pair it with either a down layer or synthetic layer underneath, effectively creating your own 3-in-1! We've got a helpful article on how to choose an insulated jacket for more ideas and information. Hope this helps!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Hi @heatherbridgham .  I am not an employee, but I can agree with @REI-JenK and her recommendation.  I recently purchased the REI Co-op XeroDry GTX jacket for the exact same reason.  I wanted a jacket that didn't really look like, or feel like, a rain jacket.  This definitely fit the bill.  I'm really pleased with its look and performance.  In fact, I just came in from walking my dog during a downpour while wearing it and it kept me nice and dry.

Good luck on your search!

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

Thanks for the advice!

Hi! My go-to for a rain coat is the North Face style with Gore-Tex. The fabric is soft, not crunchy, and cleans easily. For added warmth I often put a micro puff on underneath, since the puff holds heat in well and the rain jacket shields me from wind and rain. Sometimes I opt this arrangement over my standard winter coat, since its lightweight and doesn't make me feel like an overflowing marshmallow! By having a separate basic raincoat and micro puff, I'm able to fully utilize both items but also use them together very easily and comfortably.