cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Backpacking tips you probably won't hear from men

I'll start!

If you can, wear a wool sports bra.

Labels (1)
13 Replies

Cotton balls + chapstick makes a great firestarter. 

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

also Fritos, hand sanitizer, dryer lint, don't forget cotton balls dipped in vasoline 🙂

but more to the topic,

I'm going to say cooking tips.

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

Hah! My male partner does most of our camp cooking so I’d beg to differ on that one 😂

I'd be careful with dryer lint. If you've been drying synthetics, that lint will contain synthetic material, not good to breathe the smoke. And for cotton, be certain the garment is not treated to be fire resistant before using cotton lint.

Cotton balls dipped in vasoline are great for starting fires. And vasoline is cheaper than the lip balm someone else suggested.

0 Likes

Ive never thought of using chapstick!

A guy WOULD say that 😉

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes

Put all your underwear and bras in a separate baggie in your pack with your tampons/pads, helps you not lose them in your pack 🙂

Reusable menstrual cups are lifesavers for longer day hikes and backpacking trips! I've found you don't have to change them as often as other hygiene products, so you can spend more time enjoying the outdoors.

@Former community member - I have the same sentiment! They have been game changers for when I spend long days out climbing or paddling. I was thrilled when REI started carrying them. The more time I get to spend focusing on the exciting activities I'm getting into, the better! 

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.