cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Puget Sound Kayak with Dog

Hi there! 

I live in Seattle and am looking for a kayak that would be good for both lake kayaking and in the Puget Sound. Ideally, I would like to be able to do some kayak camping up in the San Juans eventually.

The catch is that I'm also looking for a kayak that could occasionally fit my 35 lb dog. I am small myself (5', ~110 lbs) so don't think we need a tandem. I was hoping one of the Oru kayaks might work since I'm a bit limited on space, but don't want to sacrifice quality for convenience.

Would love any recommendations anyone might have!

Thanks,

JF

Labels (3)
0 Likes
2 Replies

Hi there @jkfriedm!

Thanks for sparking this conversation in the Community!

I thought you might enjoy this previous thread that discusses this exact topic!

Kayaking with a Dog  

In addition here are some thoughts on two models of Oru Kayaks that I advised on not too long ago!

You’ll see some comments throughout these previous conversations that @REI-JohnJ provides!  I’ll tag him here as he has plenty of experience with taking his pup out on the water!

Hope this helps get you started!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

@jkfriedm Thanks for reaching out!

The kayak that most closely fits your needs is going to be the Oru Beach LT Folding Kayak 12'. It will perform really well on lakes and, with it's large cockpit, have plenty of room for you, your pup, and some gear. At 12 feet long it should track pretty well, you'll just want to be very thoughtful and prepared if you're going to venture into open water in Puget Sound, as there are so many more variables to contend with (waves, wind, tides, currents, ships, etc).

Hope this helps!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes