cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Kayak roof-top carrier advice

We are ordering a pair of perception 9.5 kayaks from your online catalog...

what do you recommend for a roof rack ?  My car has Yakima cross bars...

thanks

oboe

0 Likes
4 Replies

@Oboe54 

Hi Oboe!

Congrats on the kayaks! 

For a pair of kayaks, depending on the vehicle and overall width of your existing crossbars, I would typically recommend a J cradle style of kayak rack. These carry the kayaks at an angle to maximize the space of your bar. Sometimes space can be a serious constraint when trying to transport two kayaks flat and side by side, which is why the angled carriers have become so popular. 

A pair of the Yakima JayLow Kayak Rack would integrate well into your existing setup and let you carry two kayaks easily and securely. They come with all the tie downs and straps you need too.

We also have an article on our Expert Advice section with some tips and tricks for transporting your new kayaks. 

I hope you enjoy the new boats, Oboe! Happy paddling!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

@Oboe54 thanks for responding via email with an additional question. We'll tag @REI-IanE to respond to the following message you send:

"My husband and I live in PG county, near Patuxent and Potomac River access. We won't do much more active waters, maybe bay. We are lookig at the Perception kayak, light and affordable, like adjustable foot mounts, and just want to know if that will be suitable for our needs. We are in our 60's weight also a factor. Like in and out access sturdy. Thanks."

0 Likes

Hey @Oboe54

I think you're definitely on the right track with the Perception Sound 9.5 kayak. That kayak would do really well on quiet water. I would be hesitant to bring it out into too much open water with an active tide or wind, but for lakes and slow rivers it would be great. It's light, has the features you're looking for with the adjustable foot pedals, and it comes with a paddle!

I think this strikes a good balance between weight and sturdiness. It's made from polyethylene, which is pretty common for recreational kayaks, and it's a pretty stout material.

The research you've done already has definitely served you well. You've got a great option for what you want to do with those Perception kayaks. I think you'll really enjoy them.

Thanks for the great questions, Oboe! I hope you enjoy them! Cheers!

0 Likes

@Oboe54 My wife and I find the Thule Compass holds our two sit-on-tops well. It’s more cost-effective than buying two cradles.

0 Likes