cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

How to rack a kayak and a paddle board?

I am looking to carry one kayak and one paddle board and looking for suggestions on how this can be done. I see this option https://www.rei.com/product/152012/thule-compass-4-in-1-kayaksup-rack.

I can rack the kayak in "stacker mode" and perhaps also rack the paddle board also in "stacker mode". But perhaps a paddle board would be too wide to be strapped so it is basically vertical. 

Any guidance would be gratefully received.

0 Likes
1 Reply

@Philip Thanks for reaching out!

As a family with a kayak and paddle boards I have also tried hard to find the easiest solution for transporting our watercraft. Unfortunately, we are not aware of a solution that exists where you can transport a kayak and a paddle board with one rack. The Thule Compass is designed to carry SUPs laying flat, not vertically, so as soon as you bring a kayak into the mix it negates the ability to carry a SUP. The system we have come up with is the Thule SUP Taxi XT for our paddle boards and a Thule Hull-a-Port for the kayak. We are able to get both of these on our roof rack as the Hull-a-Port leans back a little bit but not too much to impede the use of the SUP taxi. When we load up the boats we definitely have to put the SUPs on first, then the kayak, otherwise the kayak is in the way of getting the SUPs strapped down.

Hope this helps!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes