cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

How to not get your butt wet in a kayak

Hi friends, Seeking some tips and advice on how not to get my butt wet! I periodically head up to lake casitas near Ojai to go kayaking and hate getting my butt wet in the kayak. You can't swim there, and there is no place to change and I get soaked. Yet, it is too hot, generally for a wetsuit, not to mention would look stupid on the lake. What would you suggest? I also would like to do some ocean kayaking and paddle boarding too, for which an athleta paddle-worthy swim suit seems probably reasonable. (I am age 60 and fit, but have not tried these ocean sports yet). Open to your thoughts. Thanks everyone!

Labels (2)
23 Replies

Good to know.

0 Likes

In kayaking you can never really keep from getting wet.  But the best way to control water coming into the kayak is to have a properly sized kayak, have good stroking technique (so you don't scoop water it) and to use a skirt.  A neoprene skirt is the best as they fit more snugly, both to the boat and to you.  But before you start using a skirt, you must make sure you can wet exit with one and also helpful if you know how to wet re-enter with one as well.  If you really don't want to get wet at all, wear a dry suit.  Its the only true way to stay dry.  Experienced kayakers know that they are just between swims.

0 Likes

Nylon skirts fit snug also. The difference in the NEO and nylon is that with repeated soakings, or contact with water, water will leech through nylon. Worse as they get older. The benefit of nylon is price and accessories. My Seals Sneak will keep most of the water out, and I have a zipper to let air in and 2 pockets. One for trailmix, and the other for whatever I think I need. It can be bad if your parts in the kayak are getting hot, you unzip the skirt, then take a 20" riffle with  a boat that goes through instead of going over. You can watch 8" of cold water (in slo mo) head aft over the deck to say..... wake the fellas up....  Surprisingly not refreshing.

0 Likes

two words: wetsuit pants

0 Likes