cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

How to not get your butt wet in a kayak

Hi friends, Seeking some tips and advice on how not to get my butt wet! I periodically head up to lake casitas near Ojai to go kayaking and hate getting my butt wet in the kayak. You can't swim there, and there is no place to change and I get soaked. Yet, it is too hot, generally for a wetsuit, not to mention would look stupid on the lake. What would you suggest? I also would like to do some ocean kayaking and paddle boarding too, for which an athleta paddle-worthy swim suit seems probably reasonable. (I am age 60 and fit, but have not tried these ocean sports yet). Open to your thoughts. Thanks everyone!

Labels (2)
23 Replies

Don't put it in the water.  Facetious I know,  but you are going to get your butt wet if you use small watercraft that involve sitting down close to the water.   Get used to it. 

Just wear some light weight fast drying clothing so the wet butt effect dissipates quickly.  No cotton including underwear.

Old Guyot speak with straight tongue.  But why would you mess around with Lake Casitas when the Santa Barbara channel and the Channel Islands are just minutes away?  That is kayaking paradise!

You can get into salt water at numerous points along the coast (Ventura harbor is my fave) and Island Packers can ferry you and your kayak to the islands (for a suitable fee, of course).

Of course your butt gets wet!! That's part of the fun.  A wetsuit is essential when you meet real water.  People have been known to become completely immersed in the cool waters of the Channel.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

Thank you, yes, I plan to try an REI or Island Packers ocean kayak experience soon. I agree Lake Casitas is not ideal in every respect but I live in the valley grid. I do not like the channel islands harbor as I prefer a more natural environment to explore (yes I know Lake Casitas is man-made). As for the ocean, yes, THAT is a place I would wear a swim suit or wetsuit, depending.

0 Likes

The harbor, whichever you may start from, is just the beginning.  You soon get beyond the breakwater and voila! real, surging ocean!!

6ne of the benefits of working at Channel Islands NP, when I was in the visitor center and not on the islands, was to arrive at work early and do a short paddle, quickly leaving the harbor and out into the ocean

Oh, for the life on the rollin' sea!!

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

Ok, thanks but ouch.  No stranger to getting wet in the water, or so clueless I can't figure out that I need to wear "lightweight clothing."  

0 Likes

@Vivi Fair enough.  You will be less likely to get a wet butt using a canoe or standup paddle board than in a kayak.

Possibly there may be suspended mesh seats available for kayaks that drain fast and minimize the issue.  Most that I have seen have fairly impermeable seats although there are some designed for fishing but they tend to sit high so would not be appropriate for open water.  Here is an example...

https://www.hobie.com/kayaks/mirage-compass/

For lightweight quick drying in a kayak and for dingy sailing for river/lake use,  I like Columbia Silver Ridge long sleeve shirt and non stretch non zip off long pants in a light color.  These provide good sun protection, wicking and dry quickly if they get wet.  I wear the same outfit hiking/backpacking too.   They make them for women. 

Personally I do not like zipoffs or stretch pants although they make those variants.  Those features just add weight and discomfort for me but your opinion may vary.

Polyester being naturally hydrophobic is theoretically better in water than nylon which can absorb water and weigh you down more. 

I generally use exofficio give-n-go underwear for all above activities...they are nylon but since underwear is a small area and not bulky or loose, the nylon "issue" is insignificant. 

O.k. thank you, those are some good things for me to pursue.

0 Likes

Following!

I have this same issue and would love to avoid the wet butt syndrome as well. Already follow the wear quick drying pants advise, but wondered about other options. Are there any?

Thank you for chiming in, Maureen, it sounds like you know what I'm saying. What pants do you find to be the most "quick drying?"