cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

How can we find the Kayak Serial Numbers on our kayaks?

We bought two Wilderness Tarpon 105s from REI back in June but have been stymied in getting our Ohio State Certificate of Operation because we can't find the HIN/SN anywhere.

Were they in the documentation and we somehow missed them? They are certainly not on the kayaks where we were directed to look. Can we get them resent to us?

Thanks,

Doyle

0 Likes
3 Replies

@DEWline 

Hello Doyle!

Thanks for reaching out! The serial numbers for your kayaks should be located somewhere on the body of the kayak, where it is difficult to remove. Often times they will be molded into the plastic or stamped onto a small metal sheet and embedded into the deck or hull of the boat. They are a pretty long combination of numbers and letters, resembling your vehicle's VIN, and they can definitely be hard to locate at times.

If you can't find them at all on the boat, you can look on the paperwork that came with the boat. The serial numbers should be located on the REI paperwork as well as with the user manual that came with the kayak. If you no longer have your paperwork, you can call the REI store you purchased them from and ask, they should have retained a carbon copy of the paperwork with the information on it.

Hopefully this helps, thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

On Wilderness Systems Kayaks the serial number is located on right side (standing at stern looking forward) of kayak just below the side seam separating the hull and deck. It's position will vary from boat to boat but is usually within 8-18" from the stern of the boat. 

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Thank you. With your specificity, I re-looked at that area with different lighting and shadows and was able to make out a very faint S/N etched into the kayaks. I had even taken pictures of the area but the flash washed out the etching so much that I didn't think anything was there.

Thanks again,

Doyle

0 Likes