cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

First time SUP?

Getting in to SUP was a little scary at first- I was afraid to fall off my board, even though the water can be very forgiving! Do you have a good first time story?
At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
6 Replies

First time SUP?

The first time I went I wore my Chacos and my feet cramped up so bad I fell off the board! Someone explained that I should try without shoes and I haven't stopped paddleboarding since!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

First time SUP?

The first I went was through a class being taught with REI! It was supposed to be a "sunset paddle", but I'm pretty sure it was one of the grayest/most cloudy nights of the summer. A little choppy on the water and no sunset to be seen, but regardless of the environmental factors it was still such an amazing experience and helped get me into a new activity! Can't recommend it enough.

0 Likes

First time SUP?

Stand Up Paddling can be very fun especially during hot days and warm water. 

Day 1 I started off on my butt, then on my knees and fully standing up. Got a little too confident and didn't have my legs planted on the board and my feet kicked up under me and I went into the water. Good thing it was warm and just back on. Lesson learned have some grip on your feet. 

0 Likes

First time SUP?

my first SUP was in the ocean, shortly after i had a great first time surfing experience, so i was 100% ready to fall off six thousand times before figuring it out! i had the board out for half a day, which was enough time to get comfortable bobbing around the surf and trying to chase some waves. probably the best part of it was taking my father out for a ride after he gave up trying to pilot his own board, so i just sat him down on the front of my board like a little kid and took him on a tour.

0 Likes

First time SUP?

My sister, (now) wife, and I rented SUPs at Kings Beach in Lake Tahoe.  The water was a tad choppy thanks to some afternoon wind.  My wife never got up past a couple times on her knees as she was too scared of falling off... my sister and I were off to the races standing but I definitely fell off once or twice, which honestly I considered part of the fun!  It's something I could see myself getting into if we got an inflatable model.  

0 Likes

First time SUP?

My first time SUPing was on the Pamlico Sound on Hatteras Island. The winds were light and it was sunny and bright. The perfect environment for first time paddling. The sun, sky and beautiful views while on the water were amazing. 

0 Likes