cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Experience with portable kayaks (other than Oru)?

Anyone with experience using a portable kayak such as Trak 2.0, Pakboat, or Pakayak? I don't have room to store or transport a normal rigid kayak, so I'm considering a number of options. I have yet to see any of these out on the water, and I hope someone here has some first-hand experience to share.

0 Likes
1 Reply

Probably not much help but about 4 years ago I used a borrowed inflatable Airis Sport...

https://www.inflatablekayakworld.com/airis-sport-review/

on a 15 mile paddle down a mild river with some shallow "fast" water and a few portages and had an excellent time of it.   I see Airis is unfortunately longer in business but I was impressed with how well it was put together.  It was easy to pack in the car and not that onerous to inflate with the oversized upright hand pump.  It was easy to paddle and tracked well on the fairly gentle river.  The only issue I had in use was the one I used was too small for my weight ( my friend's wife's boat) so it bottomed out a bit in the shallows and was a bit heavy going when the water got deep with no current to help me along.

All you can really take from that is that the concept works and can provide an enjoyable time at least in mild conditions.

From my otherwise limited experience of that and a bit of sea kayaking many years ago,  the thing to consider is that the seat options work for you.  Unless you have a very strong core, the sitting position in a kayak can be very tiring and the back support in many models is not great.  I would rate the Airis Sport as fair to good in that regard.  I recall having some trouble with it after a couple of hours and I may have padded it out with a flotation jacket.  The sea kayak I used in the distant past was awful in that regard and I was probably in better shape at that time.

Unless you are already experienced I recommend taking a class and learning to buddy and self rescue before going anywhere too adventurous.  Definitely carry and wear a flotation jacket of some sort.