cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Membership now as great as the outdoors!
Already a member? Take a look at the Co-op Members section of the community.
Ready to join? Explore all of the benefits here.

Experience with portable kayaks (other than Oru)?

Anyone with experience using a portable kayak such as Trak 2.0, Pakboat, or Pakayak? I don't have room to store or transport a normal rigid kayak, so I'm considering a number of options. I have yet to see any of these out on the water, and I hope someone here has some first-hand experience to share.

0 Likes
4 Replies

Probably not much help but about 4 years ago I used a borrowed inflatable Airis Sport...

https://www.inflatablekayakworld.com/airis-sport-review/

on a 15 mile paddle down a mild river with some shallow "fast" water and a few portages and had an excellent time of it.   I see Airis is unfortunately longer in business but I was impressed with how well it was put together.  It was easy to pack in the car and not that onerous to inflate with the oversized upright hand pump.  It was easy to paddle and tracked well on the fairly gentle river.  The only issue I had in use was the one I used was too small for my weight ( my friend's wife's boat) so it bottomed out a bit in the shallows and was a bit heavy going when the water got deep with no current to help me along.

All you can really take from that is that the concept works and can provide an enjoyable time at least in mild conditions.

From my otherwise limited experience of that and a bit of sea kayaking many years ago,  the thing to consider is that the seat options work for you.  Unless you have a very strong core, the sitting position in a kayak can be very tiring and the back support in many models is not great.  I would rate the Airis Sport as fair to good in that regard.  I recall having some trouble with it after a couple of hours and I may have padded it out with a flotation jacket.  The sea kayak I used in the distant past was awful in that regard and I was probably in better shape at that time.

Unless you are already experienced I recommend taking a class and learning to buddy and self rescue before going anywhere too adventurous.  Definitely carry and wear a flotation jacket of some sort.

The best inflatable kayak permits you to take it practically anyplace and set it up on the spot – something that is absurd with a customary kayak.

With immense headways in material quality and development, current inflatable kayaks have become entirely tough and solid on the water. Read full article from here https://dailykayaking.com

0 Likes

Kokopelli has a new Moki series that is designed like a flatwater kayak and that probably tracks way, way better than a packraft.  I have not tried it, but they look nice 

I have a Kokopelli Nirvana packraft.  Actually, I have two of them -- both a spraydeck and self bailer.   The Nirvana is whitewater capable and I've used it up to class III.   It doesn't track as well as a hardshell boat  so it's slow in flat water and it's kind of finicky to inflate, maintain and load with gear.  However, the portability more than makes up for that.   I love, love, love having a boat that fits into a single smallish duffle with all the accessories so I can take it pretty much anywhere.    The tradeoffs you are going to make are between portability, performance and durability.  For me,  that's the order of importance, but depending on how you plan to use the boat that's not necessarily the best choice for you. 

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

We have 2 Advanced Elements Inflatables. Set up in under 5 minutes especially with and electric air pump that plugs into our Outback. Never used them in any kind of whitewater. They seem very seaworthy. Bottom shell is same material as Zodiac Inflatable boats. Used in Everglades, Costal Backwater, Lakes, Silver River, locations all over Fl. Pack very nicely into included bag. We are rookies but they are great for what we do. No issues.353E426B-5911-43DF-A61F-BB08B279B7D1.jpeg2F53D091-CFC3-4710-B5FA-C1DD616C1DB2.jpeg