cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Everglades NP canoe/kayak trip - wish me luck!

signing off for a few weeks as my buddy drags me down to everglades national park for an 8 day canoe/kayak trip.

I'm riding shotgun in a canoe, everyone else in a kayak.

3 camps on the ocean side beaches, 4 camps on the wilderness waterways 'chickees', 120' wooden double platforms in the mangroves, reservations only.

alligators, crocs, and pythons.  and I'm deathly afraid of snakes anyway, so sure, why not pythons!

I go because I'm dragging my buds to bridger in july and the sierras for a month in august (jmt), so it was difficult to get a pass.

Adventure!

wish me luck!

anyone see the movie 'anaconda' recently, lol!

and, per usual, here's my map https://caltopo.com/m/64K6

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
17 Replies

@Philreedshikes - Wow! Thank so much for this update. Reading that list of what you encountered is jaw-dropping!

I can't wait to see the video you make. Looking forward to it already. It's great to hear you had a such an amazing adventure!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Congrats @Philreedshikes on completing the adventure and coming home all in one piece!  

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

https://youtu.be/fFjdfhvW4io

Part 1, the Ocean Phase

8 Days, 7 nights From Flamingo to Everglades City, Everglades NP. Gulf of Mexico beach camping, 3 nights, the Nightmare, 4 days on Chickees and Ground Sites...

Hey @Philreedshikes - Thanks for sharing! This was so much fun to watch!

I loved seeing your friend's water storage in the 2 liter coke bottles. That's ingenuity at it's best and I'm sure they worked perfectly well.

When you were videoing in your tent I noticed that your rain fly wasn't on. Was the weather calm enough some nights to sleep without it? 

My favorite line in the whole thing was "It's very important someone falls in the water before I do." Ha! Those manatees looked pretty friendly — though they were probably the nicest animals you saw the whole trip!

Thanks again for sharing. I'm already excited for part 2!

@REI-CarterC, yes the weather was calm, at night...however, that said, the dew condensation was enormous, meaning you had to put on the rain fly just to keep everything dry in your tent!

I kept it off the first night to look at the stars, wound up with everything in my tent, that cooled off, getting a layer of water.

the ocean breeze did ensure no bugs, that was nice.  We would miss it later on the inland ground sites.

0 Likes

@Philreedshikes 

Loving these videos, thanks for sharing!

so fun! I did this with my dad in 2019 and it was a blast. its an amazing jungle down there- prepare for lots of bugs and some high temps.

here's part 2..."the nightmare"!

https://youtu.be/cnujecYN-AY