cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Everglades NP canoe/kayak trip - wish me luck!

signing off for a few weeks as my buddy drags me down to everglades national park for an 8 day canoe/kayak trip.

I'm riding shotgun in a canoe, everyone else in a kayak.

3 camps on the ocean side beaches, 4 camps on the wilderness waterways 'chickees', 120' wooden double platforms in the mangroves, reservations only.

alligators, crocs, and pythons.  and I'm deathly afraid of snakes anyway, so sure, why not pythons!

I go because I'm dragging my buds to bridger in july and the sierras for a month in august (jmt), so it was difficult to get a pass.

Adventure!

wish me luck!

anyone see the movie 'anaconda' recently, lol!

and, per usual, here's my map https://caltopo.com/m/64K6

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
17 Replies

@Philreedshikes 

Best of luck! I am sure it will be an amazing trip, however, I am more than happy to live this adventure vicariously through you. Hard nope on snakes and alligators and crocs! Enjoy your time and bring back some photos!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Good luck! I'll wait and see how this turns out before I plan any Florida trips.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

May the breezes be at your back and start late in the afternoon. Have a great trip!

thanks!

Good luck @Philreedshikes !  Hope you stay dry and out of the mouths of carnivorous reptiles!  Can't wait to see some pics.

Best of luck @Philreedshikes ....we’ll all be anxious to see some awesome photos!

Hi, enjoy the trip. I led groups in the 70's - - no problem with alligators- they are in their natural habitat and are only curious when you go by.    Remember to take all water for the trip brackish water is not potable.   Good route is the wilderness waterway, starting at Flamingo and ending at everglades city. In warm weather be prepared for hordes of biting fly's. Enjoy  awesome bird life.

richard clapp

0 Likes

Alligators are the bears of the water and the same safety tips apply - when one chases you, toss the slowest swimmer in between you and the gator.

Follow me for more wildlife safety tips. 🤣🤣

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

Survived! 8 days/7 nights ONE HUNDRED miles in the Florida everglades! Flamingo camp to Everglades City. 3.5 days following Gulf of Mexico and beach camping, 4.5 days on the wilderness waterway in the deep mangroves, camping on chickee platforms built above the water and ground sites full of all sorts of wild beasts! High winds on the ocean, storms in the mangroves, crocodiles, sharks, manatees, dolphins, swamp rats, mosquitoes, noseeums, alligators, pelicans, ospreys, crabs, sunburn, sore muscles, it was an AMAZING ADVENTURE, video to follow!

EF27FF5F-DA6B-4176-A298-3732CB967291.jpeg

1E1C0A85-70B4-48E1-A13C-20AB9CA722C2.jpeg