cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

DIY Throw Line

Found myself with two things this past weekend: spare time and spare 550 Paracord.

So I took a plastic water bottle with the sport cap, popped the middle piece out and had a perfect container.

20210621_160548358_iOS.jpg20210621_160913513_iOS.jpg

I know I should use floating rope (Paracord will sink once it gets saturated) but I had 50' of hi-viz yellow cord so I figured why not use that.

• drilled a hole in the bottom, and put a knot on both sides of the bottom of the bottle to prevent the rope from sliding all the way through
  • Tied an 8" loop from the end coming out the bottom of the bottle
  • Tied a carabiner to the end (in case I need to deploy while in my kayak, I can clip into one of the D rings if the situation warrants it). Plus it prevents the cord from falling into the bottle
  • Tied a piece of shock cord around the bottle just to keep the carabiner in place
  • Finally, poured about 1 inch of wax in the bottom of the bottle for two reasons: help the bottle float in case the Paracord gets saturated faster than expected and to add weight to the bottle, making it easier to throw further.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
12 Replies

Actually, I'm thinking of throw bags in relation to kayaking. No helmets unless you are white water paddling.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Found Myself Outside
0 Likes

@Luv2Kayak wrote "Don't know why, but I was thinking about this last night."

And THAT is how I found myself doing this LOL. I watched a video where someone made it and my first thought was "okay, but I don't see why". Then I found myself thinking about it and what I'd change. Next thing you know, I am posting here about it.

And now you are too! 😀

I do think I'll keep the plastic bottle. As @hikermor said, the plastic bottle itself doesn't really have any mass and it's more of a simple container and holder of the wax (which gives it the little bit of extra weight to assist in throwing further). And, if I am trying to assist a complete &%*#^ then I can always claim that hitting him in the head with the bottle was a total accident. 🤣 🤣 🤣

But that said, now I am wondering if there's a relatively easy way to hollow out a pool noodle more than that 1" diameter hole. That would add enough mass to assist in throwing further, has the benefit of floating and can be in a bright color to make it easier to see, and if you do hit someone with it (I swear, by accident) then it's no big deal. Maybe a 14" section and a razor blade/boxcutter - slice it in half vertically, carve out a larger space inside, and then 4 or 5 zip ties to put the two halves together again?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

@Dad_Aint_Hip, Please post a picture once you have it made!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Found Myself Outside
0 Likes