cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Difference between foldable kayaks

What are the differences between the entry level foldable kayak and the next higher price point?

0 Likes
11 Replies

I have started reading your articles and is extremely helpful.  Since I am only considering the folding kayaks at this point, will I have decisions to make regarding "sit in" vs. "sit on" , etc. or does the kayak come just one way/standard features?

0 Likes

@cohenb Thanks for the great conversation!

In the category of folding kayaks you are considering your only option would be a 'sit in' style. If you were interested in a 'sit on top that' kayak that is highly portable you would need to look at a kayak like the STAR Raven I Inflatable Kayak or the Aquaglide Deschutes 130 Inflatable Kayak

The foldable kayaks you are looking at are a cool concept and both have large cockpits which make paddling fun and the kayak easy to get in and out of. I have paddled both 10' kayaks and 12' kayaks and, in my experience, the 12' kayak is much more fun to paddle. It's ability to track (remain in a straight line when paddling) makes for more efficient and enjoyable paddling, and, at 12', it is still maneuverable enough for paddling into tight spaces.

Hopefully this helps, don't hesitate to reach out with any other questions you may have!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes