cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Difference between foldable kayaks

What are the differences between the entry level foldable kayak and the next higher price point?

0 Likes
11 Replies

Hi there @cohenb !

Thanks for reaching out to the Community!  

Were there two particular folding kayaks you had in mind that we could help you compare? As with a lot of gear, price point can change with differences in materials, weight, and overall performance features. 

If you let us know exactly what you might be interested in, one of our Watersports experts can definitely give you some advice!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Thank you for your response.

I am comparing the Inlet Folding ($899) vs. the Beach LT folding ($1,199).  What additional benefits would I get for spending an extra $300?

0 Likes

@cohenb thanks for the additional information!

One of the main differences is the length of these two boats. Here is a few reasons that might matter to you.

The Inlet is 10’ versus the Beach LT being 12’.  One advantage to having a longer boat is its ability to track better. This can make maneuvering easier for you and the boat a little faster. Your paddle experience may be more enjoyable as a result. With that added length does come some extra weight, about 6lbs heavier, but this means the overall weight capacity is a little higher too. 

I’d be interested to hear from @REI-JohnJ and @REI-EricP ! They might be able to give us a greater perspective on this topic!

0 Likes

This is hugely helpful.  Thank you so much.  I am new to kayaking so can you please define "tracking for me?

@cohenb glad to help!

When we are talking about tracking, this is in reference to how the boat moves in the water. Basically, you want your kayak to stay the course that you are directing it in. 

Since you are new to the activity, you might enjoy some of our expert advice articles like this one !

0 Likes

I will definitely read this article.  Thank you for sending it.  This is why I place REI ahead of all of your competitors.

It sounds like the extra $300 is worth it.

Do I have the prices for both products, correct?  Did they go up in price or on sale?

Are they both in stock right now and available for purchase?

0 Likes

Thank you for that kind response @cohenb !

Yes, you were pretty spot on with the pricing. The Beach LT and the Inlet are currently full price. Looks like they are both in stock and shipping is available. Hopefully you are a member with us and can earn a dividend on either purchase as well!

And of course, don’t forget to think about other essentials like your paddle and PFD!

0 Likes

What is PDF?   A life preserver?  Please recommend a middle of the road paddle for a beginner and PFD, whatever that is!

I will probably have more questions.  Can I leave this dialogue open?

0 Likes

@cohenb we can definitely leave the dialogue open. 

I’m going to recommend some reading again for starters! But yes a PFD is a personal flotation device. 

I think you will enjoy this article on choosing a paddle and personal flotation device.

Here is a handy kayaking checklist as well!

0 Likes