cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Re: Canoeing

I recently enjoyed a canoe trip on the Platte River in Northern Michigan where I learned that a dry case for your cell phone/camera is absolutely essential. What's your must-have piece of gear for summer paddling?

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
6 Replies
Personally, a pair of paddle gloves are a must have for me. When water, salt and sand mix, I tend to get blisters pretty quickly on my palms where I grip my paddle. Gloves save my hands so I can enjoy my time on the water without constantly thinking about hurting the thin skin on my palms.

Jealous! I miss paddling in the mid-west.

I must have a good pair of water shoes. Ones that cover the toes so I don't stub them on rocks and they must  have good tread when I portage.  

The Midwest does have some great paddling spots! I agree that water shoes are very important. You never know just what you're going to step in or on.

0 Likes

Dry bags for clothes and sleeping bag.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

That's a good call out, @TomIrvine . One tip of the canoe could mean wet gear and that's no good at all. It sounds like you do some canoe camping. Do you have a favorite destination?

Sorry about the late reply - I have been away and off-line for five delightful weeks.  Most of my canoe-tripping has taken place in Ontario, Canada.  Lady Evelyn Prov. Park is my favorite so far.  But then we got interested in sea-kayak touring.   I especially like the Gulf of St Laurence and the northern tip of Newfoundland.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes