cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Being the Trip Leader is a Pain

I just need to vent.

In order to float rivers you often need a permit.  So I got a permit for a desirable river trip, lined up 10 people who claimed they wanted to go rafting, rented enough boats for them all, reserved a group site  to camp the day before the launch, shelled out 100s of $$$s for all the permits, rentals and campsites  -- and then 6/10 of them dropped out one week before the launch date when it's too late for me to get a refund.  So now I also have to try to make people pay up for a trip they didn't go on. Grrrrrrr.

12 Replies

Thanks for the follow up. Glad you were able to enjoy the trip. Hope next time turns out better for you.

0 Likes

I suspect group size had something to do with your fine experience.  10 is way too much of a herd, and two is  barely safe, but four or five is just about ideal.  It helps if there are pre-existing social relationships between folks and not just random people, drawn at large.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

Glad you had a wonderful trip.  Sorry to hear about the issues.  i have been there done that (Golf Leagues and a trek at Philmont Scout ranch).  Always lots of I would like to do that.  Then when the ask for the money occurs, things can get fun.

Enjoy

0 Likes