cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Assistance choosing kayak paddles for a wide kayak.

Hi, We purchased a Paragon Tandem from REI this spring (had to get inflatable, hope it works). Forgot to get the paddles before the stores closed. Can we order them now when your stores are closed? Since we are relative beginners, we want two pairs of Bending Branches paddles. We liked the specs on the Bounce XGrip, but there are no 240cm available, so would have to order the 230cm. The paragon Tandem is 36" wide. Will the Bounce XGrips work okay in such a wide kayak? The BB Whisper comes in a 240 cm length. Do we need to order the Whisper to get the additional length? Or do you have an alternate suggestion for that width kayak. Thank you so much.

0 Likes
2 Replies

Hi there @blissninny!

Exciting to hear that you are getting into paddling!  We offer a lot of expert advice on this topic. I would start by taking a look at this article which discusses various things to consider when purchasing a paddle. 

You might also be interested in some of the advice previously given by our Watersports experts in this conversation.

In the meantime, I will also tag some of our experts to see what advice they might add to the conversation based on the paddles that you are currently considering! @REI-JohnJ @REI-EthanS @REI-EricP 

Thanks again for reaching out and hopefully you’ll be on the water with everything you need soon!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

@blissninny Thanks for reaching out to the community!

Given the width of the kayak you have, the best bet for you would be the 240cm paddle. Also, since it is inflatable, your kayak will sit higher in the water, so you're going to want those extra centimeters. The Bending Branches Whisper paddle is a great choice, as is the Aquabound Sting Ray Paddle, also available in the 240 cm length. I have paddled a Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 kayak for many years (29" wide) with a 230 cm length paddle and it's worked really well for me for that width of a boat.

Hope this helps, please let us know if you have any other questions!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.