cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Are you on Team Kayak or Team Canoe?

With the weather warming up, my head is certainly drifting off to plans on the water.

Years ago while sharing a canoe on Lake Chickamauga, I found myself in a spirited debate about which watercraft “team” I was on. Ease of portaging and room for long legs came up as canoe perks, while more efficient paddling and the fun of whitewater gained points for kayaks.

So many of y’all have shared amazing stories about time on the water, including @Rivergal's Mississippi River solo-paddle and @Philreedshikes's recent Everglades trip

So if you could only use either a kayak or a canoe for the rest of your life, which would it be? Why?

featured_apr21_watersports-team.jpg

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
Labels (2)
13 Replies

IMG_0634.JPGAs much as I love a canoe for the BWCA and ease of portaging, I'm most at home on my Jackson Kayak.  She's been with me all over the Upper Mississippi River, Rainy Lake at the Canadian border, and all over the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.  Although it's a very heavy kayak, I can pack the hull full for week-long trips, the seat is wicked comfortable, and I can easily fish all day.  We a 6 day trip planned for the Cloquet River in Northern MN planned in June and I look forward to sharing the adventures with you all! 

Keep Calm and Paddle On

I've canoed and will probably again at some point, but I am in love with my kayak.  I have a 17 ft sea kayak and love playing in waves, rolling, camping on water trails, being on the big lakes and when I can get back to the East Coast, playing on the ocean.  I love water and I love being close to it.  There is just so much you can do with a kayak that I don't think you can do with a canoe (maybe it you are really really good) but I've loved kayaking since the first day I ever sat in one and played near Tybee Island GA.

looking forward to some first kayak experiences this summer!

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

@Philreedshikes - Were there any instances on your Everglades trip that made you especially happy to have been in a canoe rather than kayaks like the others? Did the two types of boats handle most things similarly on the water and campsites y’all were passing through?

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

@REI-CarterCthat's a tough one.  The kayaks seemed to effortlessly glide by as we struggled to fight the wind and waves on the huge lakes and gulf of Mexico in our canoe.

The canoe packed a lot of 'stuff' for two, including 8 days of water for two, at  1 gal per day.  I think we approached 600lbs against the canoe's 900 load limit.

The canoe was easy to get in/get out, especially at the chickees..the kayaks had to really think through the loading/unloading process when there was no place to easily exit.  The chickee 'ramps' were a few feet above the kayak.

that said, it appeared, that the kayaks needed much less effort to glide along.

In the canoe, you can stretch your legs.  but I guess you need a partner in a canoe, whereas the kayaker doesn't.

I really don't have any experience in a kayak, but they are sure popular, must be for a good reason.

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

I am team "anything that floats"  haha but I would have to say kayak for now, because it fits on top of my Ford Fusion. When I have the ability to transport a canoe, I will probably be team canoe because of the extra space. 

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

Team kayak here, mostly because that is where I have had most of my paddling experience, especially sea kayaking.  I just can't Eskimo roll a canoe, whereas I have actually rolled a sea kayak...

I can finally answer! Team Kayak, seeing how I got my first one just a few days ago (thank you, REI).

It was almost as if I thought to myself "okay, I've just about finished buying all the gear I need for backpacking this Summer, so what can I start spending money on instead of saving for my kids' college funds? I know... KAYAK ACCESSORIES!!!"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

5.00 fine for no picture......Wheres the boat? How can we help you spend your money... err outfit, yeah, thats the ticket, outfit your boat without knowing what you have?