cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Where to park overnight in NorCal

I'm renting a camper van for a week during my upcoming break and would love tips on how to know if a spot is okay to park in overnight. Whether off a main road or on BLM land, is there a resource to help with this?

0 Likes
6 Replies

@dttrau 

well, that narrows it down, lol!  This might help, caltopo.com has a layer depicting public lands, including BLM, however I'm not sure if that layer is with a free or a 'premium' account

good luck!

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

@dttrau 

I don't know a lot about VanLife, but I do know that Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops do welcome covert car and van campers on the parking lots to stay the night.

Kyle M | https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtrM2UkJKMvKv3qyR9WFv7w
Have a Great Day, and make your best adventure yet.

I have not used them myself yet but there are apps that share this kind of info for RVers. Just search for " app for free RV overnight camping" or similar. Generally you can dispersed primitive camp in National Forests and on BLM land for free for a limited period but the rules vary from unit to unit and may have local restrictions so need to check the local rules. The NFS web sites have some information including how to contact the local office.

freecampsites.net

No annoying app, or ads. Easy to use. Dated entries give current beta. Pictures. Descriptions clear on what equipment (RV, etc) fits, road conditions, limitations.

rvdump.com is useful to bookmark too. 

0 Likes

To clarify, there are ads but they are not annoying. For example they don't interrupt you.

0 Likes

Freecampsites.net is the hub for this. Cali also has many 8 hour lots where you can park for up to 8 hours with no issues- sometimes the "neighbors" are quite fun.

0 Likes