cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Underrated van design features

When building out a van it is obvious that the design must consider layout for everyday activities like cooking and sleeping, but what small details of van design did you consider- or wish you considered- when planning your build?

I spent a lot of time strategizing how to accommodate my bikes and folding kayak, but overlooked where I would store a wet PFD and my helmets. 

It also didn't take long for me to learn that in van life there are at least three categories of laundry-clean laundry, (really) dirty laundry, and "should be washed but will be worn again laundry". 

What tips do you have for maximizing space for van life?

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
1 Reply

It really depends on what kind of van you have.  I have a Honda Odyssey and wet PFDs and muddy clothes go in a mesh bag strapped tight in the roof rack.  It's really just finding a place outside the van it won't fly off.

Alternately,  you could seal them in a container but it can be potent when you open it up at home.

0 Likes