cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Dream of Living the Vanlife? Follow up here about vans with REI x Fjallraven!

Join REI for a virtual panel discussion as we sit down with REI's Miranda in the Wild, alongside Cam Ciccone from Fjallraven Boston on 3/31 @ 4:00pm EST. The event is free and you can register here.

Get a peek inside Miranda and Cam's vans and learn about life on the road!

If you attended the virtual event and have further questions, our moderators will answer them here.

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
9 Replies

Hey guys, thanks for that awesome webinar! I’m about to graduate college so I’m in prime exploration mode, I'm also a road trip fiend. I’ve recently been dreaming of taking my love for road trips to the next level and investing in a van but I’m hesitant that I’m just falling for pretty instagram van life and not actually thinking through the implications of living in a van. How do I know I’m ready for this/how did you guys make this big decision? Thanks!

Try it out low-key first. Miranda built a bed in the back of her Mazda before purchasing a van. Also, let us be the first to tell you, #vanlife isn’t all curated Instagram photos. Both Miranda and Cam shared the not-so-glamorous moments (who needs to shower anyway?) and experienced lots of trial and error before they felt comfortable and prepared. We’d love to hear from the REI community – @grumpycraig, @Webberjames95, @speakingquitefrankly, @redtail266, @Ssmallchange, have some tips for embarking on your first Vanlife journey?

Thank you for tagging me in this, sorry for my late reply. I just wrote something up for ya 🙂

@alexac - It is NOT what you see online. It is much more rugged and smelly, things are especially challenging with many coffee shops and restrooms still shutdown for COVID. Wifi and showers are a premium. That being said, its one of the most amazing ways I could ever imagine spending a few years. I am still NOT in an official van, but in a hatchback camper. This is what I would recommend. It's cheaper on gas, its more stealthy and it allows you to try out vanlife without the expense.

I have a (very-not-professional) tour here: https://youtu.be/oL4rjOPLvbs

I also recorded several podcasts that are all linked on my Instagram @speakingquitefrankly these should answer most of your questions, but im always down for a DM if I can help inspire you more.

Thanks so much for the great webinar! It was great to see the vans and hear from the experienced van-lifers.

Hey all, great event!  Thanks for sharing your set up and experiences.  I wanted to know how you deal with the threat of break in.  Vans can be obvious for being lived in with fans and curtains.  I'd like to travel out of an SUV.  Do you have an tips?  Would an alarm system help?

@marvski - As you know, there isn’t any sure-fire way to prevent break-ins into cars. Good ideas are to plan your trip ahead and always have a back-up plan! Do some research on places to spend the night, and don’t stay anywhere that doesn’t feel right. Remember you’re in a vehicle – you can drive away! Let’s hear from the REI community – tips for securing your vehicle? 

@REI-LibbyM - where can we find the links that were shared during the event?

Also, I was one of the people whose name you called at the end, and I left my email addy in the chat - am I supposed to be looking for a message from you or someone? I haven’t received any correspondence.

Thanks! Nola Lynn

0 Likes

Hi Nola, thanks for reaching out and congrats on winning an REI prize pack! I've sent you an email with further instructions.

0 Likes