cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Do Trucks Count?

4wd truck with a shell for me. Higher ground clearance, lower to get under tree limbs. Get me to remote trailheads. Park level-ish, and it's quick to climb in the back cot for a comfy nite. Cook inside or out, a couple of tarps and poles and you are ready to BBQ outside in a snowstorm.

Lots of nomads like me prefer trucks. Vanlife? This is easier.

3 Replies

@Former community member 

Personally, I think trucks should always count! I am thinking about this exact set up, except I have a roof-top tent that I'm hoping I can find a canopy that takes cross bars and will hold it. That way, the kids can sleep 'upstairs' and I can sleep 'downstairs'. We'll see if it works out!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

They accepted my RV.  So, sure, trucks certainly count.  You could get much farther back of beyond than I could!

Retired medical technologist and engineer
REI member since 1978
Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

20210530_093956.jpg

CDT N Trailhead, Chain of Craters Road, El Malpais National Monument, New Mexico.

Cot in the back, cooler and any unsecured food up front, as mice make it in back every year. Rechargeable yard lights placed to light up under the truck limits nighttime visitation.

When I was partnered it made more sense to construct a bed kit in the back of my truck. Since I have been unpartnered for my last five Summers of nomadic life, I choose to have just a cot as it is lighter and easier. It also gives me more room in the back to have an alternate place to hang out and cook in inclement weather.

John, I love those tent on top trucks. I've also seen a 4x4 ready storage trailer that supports a tent on top. The tent deck ends up chest high, easier to navigate during nighttime nature calls than truck top.