cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

suggestions for hiking Western NY

I was recently assigned to Western NY for work and I’m trying to find good hiking. I have been to Pennsylvania and I’m heading to the Adirondacks to hit the high peaks. Suggestions welcome, the more vertical the better! I’m in Ellicottville.

0 Likes
5 Replies

@Darren-14411 

Welcome to the community!

We've got a few folks from New York here in the community, we'll tag some of them and see if they can give you some good ideas on places to go:

@TomIrvine @Mooze @Kato1953 @alyciami @Ben_Vrackie @Wanderer @tr0shp0nda @Ithaca 

Also, we encourage you to check out our Upstate New York board where you might find some useful information as well.

Hopefully this helps, thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Hey Darren. It would be hard to beat Allegheny (both the state park and the national forest) for local hiking material - you know, close to home. And the only mountains in the state are the Adirondacks, definitely worth the drive - especially the High Peaks. It's the most vertical you will find, unless you want to drive to New Hampshire and try out the White Mtns.

For day hikes close to Ellicotville, there is a network of trails kinda south of the ski area. If you go to a local bike shop in town, I bet they'd have a map of the area and good directions for how to get there. The Western NY Mtn Bike Association (WNYMBA) does a lot of trail-work there.

A little further out of town, and to the north is an Erie County Park named Spraguebrook that has a few nice, day-hike trails (also kept up by WNYMBA).

Happy Trails...

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

Niagara Gorge is a nice hike. Letchworth State Park has plenty of nice trails too.

I forgot about those, VeeMonty. Good options.

Back in my rock-climbing days (decades ago) we used to do most of our climbing in the Niagara Gorge. I'm not sure it's allowed anymore, but hiking is still OK. The Canadian side was particularly good, but off limits during the pandemic (with the border being closed).

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

Just outside of Ellicottville, there is Little Rock City State park-with a great little network of trails! If you are looking for day trips-Ithaca has a bunch of state parks with great trails (Buttermilk, Treman, Taughannock). Also out towards the Finger Lake area-you can hit up Watkins Glen which is gorgeous.

Closer to Buffalo, there are Spraguebrook & Hunters Creek parks which have some good trails for hiking or MTB!