cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Replacement parts help sustainabilty

One of my REI Carbon fiber walking poles broke.  Well beyond warranty, my pole remains in great shape but one of the flip lock releases broke.  REI doesn't offer these small replacement parts – which means that I must throw away and entire pole and buy a new one.  The manufacturing of an entire pole costs much more to the environment than the manufacturing of one small part.  I shop at REI because they promote an environmental ethic so I am surprised that they don't supply replacement parts. From now on, I will ask REI whether replacement parts are available and, if not, I'll buy a more sustainable brand.

6 Replies

@hexagenia2 Thanks for reaching out!

We're sorry to hear that one of your trekking poles broke. If it is possible, could you upload a photo of the broken piece? REI Trekking poles are manufactured by Komperdell, who has been great in getting us parts for trekking poles that have broken, straps that have worn out, and grips that need replacing. We can't guarantee they have the part in stock, but we can sure try!

We look forward to hearing back from you. Thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

I'm having a tough time uploading photos.

0 Likes

@hexagenia2 

We've got them, thank you! I will reach out to you via direct message here in just a moment.

Thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

If you really value sustainability, you would recycle a wooden mop handle or equivalent for a walking stick.  I have done this, and the difference between the stick and the relatively fragile carbon fiber is negligible.  Plus the stick is emergency fire wood....

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

I love that reply!  You are right... 

0 Likes

One of my favorite topics. I like stuff that can be fixed.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes