cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

REI x Subaru TerraCycle Recycling Program - divert your snack wrappers from landfills!

Did you know, thanks to our friends at Subaru, you can now recycle snack wrappers at all REI stores via TerraCycle Zero Waste Boxes?

That's right! Although temporarily paused in 2020, you can again recycle snack wrappers at an REI store near you, thanks to a partnership with Subaru!

How does it work? Just bring your clean, candy and cookie wrappers, and individual, multipack and family-size snack bags to your closest REI store and drop them in the Terracycle bin. Terracycle then takes this 'hard-to-recycle' waste and converts the snack wrappers to useful, high-quality recycled products like picnic tables, benches and playground materials. To date, REI locations have gathered over 3,700 pounds of waste!

Please join us in this effort! Share your ideas, your pictures, your successes and your challenges as you add this habit to your day-to-day life.

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
36 Replies

@Candace 

Thanks for reaching out!

Here is an info-graphic from Terracycle regarding what you can, and cannot, recycle through their program:

Screen Shot 2021-05-22 at 2.02.34 PM.png

Based on your description, it looks like the answer to your question about both 'metallicized and non-metallicized wrappers' is 'yes'. Hopefully this helps!

0 Likes

Is there a terracycle box at Vernon Hills?  And if so, where is it?  I haven't seen it there.  I'm going sometime this week and have collected a box of wrappers I'd like to drop off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Found Myself Outside
0 Likes

Hi @Luv2Kayak - It's great to hear you have some wrappers to drop off! We just connected with the Vernon Hills REI and their TerraCycle recycling box is located in the front of the store.

Thanks for asking and for recycling those wrappers!

0 Likes

I just called the Portland, OR store. They still have the Terracycle boxes available only for employees. They are not available in the store for any REI members or shoppers. They said they had no timeline for returning the bins to the store or anyone who knew when they might have them available again. 

Can you check with the Portland, OR store to see if/when they plan to have terracycle available again?  Does it for into any particular policy from Gov Brown?  Multnomah County had hit the vaccination rate to be considered low risk, so that classification should change soon. 

Thanks!!

0 Likes

Hi,

I'm in Georgia and called a couple of the stores. They also do not have the Terracycle boxes available. The store associates actually did not even know what I was talking about when I asked. Are there plans to re-instate this program across all stores?

0 Likes

Hi REI-JenK,

I love this program, or at least the idea of it.  We use TerraCycle boxes at home, but it's always a bit unclear as to exactly what they will take and recycle. 

I have a question about some specific products I use a lot.  Does the REI x Subaru TerraCycle Recycling Program take:  1. Clif bar wrappers, 2. Clif block wrappers, 3. Gu Energy gel pouches (single or 15-serving size)?

Thanks!

Steve_B

0 Likes

@Steve_B 

Thanks fo reaching out!

We dug in a bit on the Terracycle website to get the answers to your questions. The quick answer is 'yes', Terracycle should accept all three of the wrappers you described. Here are the restrictions for the box:

1. Do not send in household items that may be considered hazardous waste.
  2. Do not send in medical waste.
  3. Do not ship dripping packages.

As such, as long as you have squeezed or wiped out as much of the residue from the wrappers as you can, you should be good to go!

Hopefully this helps, thanks!

0 Likes